The engine's fine, but the crew needs a jump start

We were at anchor in Lagg Bay and we were trying to get a forecast, so we made my phone into a mobile hot spot then hoisted it up our flag hoist, to see if the extra height could get us the signal that we needed. First we put it into a plastic bag to protect it, then hoisted it up the mast. For where we were and the height that we hoisted the phone, our experiment was a complete bust. It just shows you how patchy internet is around Jura, but with a population density of 1 person per 2km, according to Wiki, then it is understandable that cell towers are sparse.

At our lunch time anchorage in Lagg Bay, we were very sheltered from the tide, but further out from shore, you could see the tide going North, so for a North going tide Lagg Bay is a perfect little anchorage, but for a South going tide then you will be pushed into the bay. One of the topics that Beverley and I started talking about was destination verses journey, so we have asked our viewers what they think, so that we could discuss this topic during our winter talks.

After our lunch, we set off sailing again. There was lots of different winds and sea states in the journey, with a few white caps dotted around, but that could be a combination of the wind and the tide, rather that just the tide, but it certainly kept me active, as I had to be on constant watch on the main sheet, just in case it needed to be eased to flatten the boat, or pulled in to accelerate.

After 8 tacks and decreasing light, I was tired. We had got up early, sailed to Lagg Bay, had a wee bit of a rest, then sailed again and now with the light diminishing, the day was catching up with me. I had done enough, so I threatened Beverley with a mutiny, so she buckled and put the engine on. When we put the engine on we were about 6 nautical miles North of Gigha, then the island itself before you get to the mooring field, so by the time we were in, it was three hours later, so I was really glad that I had said that I was tired, because I still had to keep going for three hours. It took us that long because even though the tide should of been in our favour, it was not, plus the wind was on our nose and that decreases your forward motion too.

Once at the mooring field, I was really glad that they had retro tape on the buoys, so that I could see them. Gigha had also put pick up buoys on the moorings so that helped as well. If you are coming in at night please be advised that the North cardinal is unlit and there is a new East cardinal at the entrance. Another thing to note is that the lights on the pier are half way up them and not at the end.

Raising money for the RNLI

The RNLI turned 200 years old on 4th March 2024. So as sailors and people who promote the joy of sailing, we thought that we would like to raise just £200. What we hope is that other people take up the shout and raise their own £200. In the last 200 years the RNLI have saved over 144,000 lives and yet they are funded entirely by people like you. They are not government funded.

Buy us a Coffee
Buy us a coffee
Affiliate Links
Follow Us
Instagram - SY Salty Lass
Facebook - Salty Lass
You Tube - Sailing Yacht Salty Lass
Prudence and Friends Facebook page